Halifax Minster, with its stately tower, dates mostly from the 15th century. It contains a life size figure known as Old Tristram, who is holding an almsbox. He is said to have been based on a local beggar, and is dated 1701.
All Souls Church was built by Sir George Gilbert Scott, who felt that it was his best church.
The astonishingly enormous Piece Hall was built in 1779 as a market place for the cottage wool industry, with 315 rooms.
The ornate Town Hall was designed by Sir Charles Barry and opened in 1863.
Square Chapel, built in the late 18th century as an Independent (which became Congregational) chapel, is now used as thriving arts centre.
Somerset House, now a restaurant with a lovely upper floor used for weddings, was built by John Carr of York in the 18th century.
There is an excellent Market Hall.
Eureka! is a hands on children`s museum, and is great fun.
Just outside the own is the 15th century Shibden Hall, housing a folk museum.
Halifax was the birhplace of the world famous Halifax Building Society.
The reflecting roadstuds known as cats` eyes were first produced by Percy Shaw at Halifax in 1934.
The town was also where English toffee was invented.
On the edge of town, Beacon Hill rises to 850 feet.
Mendelssohn composed for the Halifax Choral Society.
Among those born in Halifax are Phyllis Bentley, novelist; and Lord Wolfenden, social reformer.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Halifax for groups.