It is situated 400 feet up, on sandstone hills.
East Grinstead was given its borough charter in 1221, and subsequently became a market town and a centre of the iron industry.
It grew with the coming of the railway, and now is effectively in two parts. The High Street has a fine collection of mediaeval buildings, while the 19th and 20th century is around the station.
St. Swithin`s Church is 18th century, with bells recast in 1982.
Sackville College is a Jacobean almshouse, built of sandstone.
Standen is a house by Philip Webb, with fittings by William Morris.
At Queen Victoria Hospital, Sir Archibald McIndoe used plastic surgery during the Second World War to reconstruct the faces and limbs of burnt and wounded servicemen.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around East Grinstead for groups.