St. Nicholas' Church has, in addition to the normal tower, a detached bell tower. It dates from the Norman period, and has a seven sacrament font. The poet William Cowper was buried here.
A group of pargeted cottages, dated 1502, were the early home of the notorious Bishop Bonner.
A town sign in the form of a gallows sign was erected in 1954 to celebrate the town's 1300 years of history.
The Assembly Rooms are dated 1756, the Corn Hall 1857 and the Guildhall is 18th century.
St. Withburga, sister of St. Etheldreda, died in 654 and was buried here, but in the 10th century her remains were stolen by monks from Ely and taken there. Her displeasure was shown by her grave miraculously filling up with water, creating a new pilgrimage site.
The restored North Norfolk Railway runs between Dereham and Wymondham.
Brian Aldiss, the science fiction author, was born at Dereham, and the writer George Borrow was born nearby at Dumpling Green.