It has a fine collection of attractive cottages built of thatch, cob and stone, as well as an old forge.
The parish church dates from the 14th century.
A pub in the village was designed in 1934 by Edwin Lutyens.
There is a public park surrounding an Elizabethan house known as Cockington Court, with a lovely cricket field.
The village is much visited by tourists.