The parish church, with Norman tower and arcades is the original centre of the town.
Later town grew up around dramatically sited Norman castle, built as a defence against the Welsh, with impressive ruins.
The two parts of the town are linked by a mediaeval packhorse bridge.
Trinity Hospital almshouses, including tiny chapel, date from 1618.
According to A.E.Housman, Clun is one of "the quietest places under the sun".
However, the British guerilla fighter Caradoc made a stand against the Romans in the vicinity of Clun, and the English Earl, Edric the Wild, harried the Normans in the area. The Welsh four times stormed the castle and burned the town.