Privately owned, it has been a popular tourist attraction since the 19th century.
There is one street, named Upalong or Downalong, which is cobbled and with steps, with cottages tumbling down 400 feet to the little harbour and pier built in 1587.
No private cars are allowed into the village. The public transport along the street was formerly donkeys, but is now Range Rovers.
The parish church dates mostly from the 15th century.
The Clovelly Centre at the top of the hill has a display about the village, and the North Devon Bird of Prey Centre is a popular attraction.
Hobby Drive is an alternative way of arriving, through the woods.