Clitheroe is an old market town in Lancashire on the River Ribble, 10 miles from Blackburn.
Its charter was granted in 1147.
Clitheroe was the Northermost of the Lancashire cotton towns, while the limestone quarrying industry was particularly dominant in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
St. Mary Magdalene`s Church was built in 1828, but incorporates a mediaeval tower from the earlier building.
Clitheroe Castle was one of the smallest in the country, and constructed in the 12th century. Only the little Norman keep remains, and can be visited on its limestone knoll.
The Royal Grammar School was founded in 1554, although there was a school on the site as far back as the 13th century.
Just outside the town is the 1813 foot Pendle Hill, associated with George Fox as well as the Pendle Witches.
The diminutive comedian Jimmy Clitheroe did actually come from Clitheroe, and it was his real surname.