The village was notorious for the hauntings at its Rectory, known as “the most haunted house in England”. These were investigated by the famous ghost hunter Harry Price, who discovered the identity of the ghosts. Unfortunately, Price was not above a little artifice to prove his point.
Nevertheless, local people believed the house to be haunted, both before Price’s time and after. It burned down in 1939, but it is suspected that ghostly activity has moved to the churchyard, with its eerie avenue of yews.