The odd name most likely means a tanning house.
It is one of the towns which are now in the shadow of Basildon.
St. Mary Magdalen`s Church is mainly 18th century, but has an early 16th century brick tower.
The Chantry House, dating from the 16th century, was a meeting place for the Pilgrim Fathers, several of whom, including the purser Christopher Martin, came from Billericay, while others came from other parts of Essex.
St. Andrew`s Hospital was one of the early works of Gilbert Scott in 1840, and was formerly the Poor Law Institution.
Barleylands Farm Museum is a popular tourist attraction, with displays on country matters and vintage agricultural machinery.
Norsey Wood was where the Peasants` Revolt was finally crushed in 1381.
Ian Dury helped to put the town on the map with his famous song "Billericay Dickie", written in 1977.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Billericay for groups.