It is in the valley of the River Amber, surrounded by steep hills, with buildings made of the local limestone and gritstone.
The parish church, at the heart of the village, dates from the 14th century and has the company of ancient trees. The slender spire rises to 128 feet. There is a rare Norman font, and the Babington Monument from 1518.
Beside the church is the Crispin Inn, claimed to date from the time of Agincourt but more likely to be 17th century.