Appleby is a market town in Cumbria (formerly Westmorland, of which it was the county town), 12 miles from Penrith.
Its full name is Appleby-in-Westmorland.
The town stands on the banks of the River Eden, between the Lake District and the Pennines.
St. Lawrence`s Church dates from the 12th century, replacing an earlier building which was burned down by the Scots. It houses one of the country`s oldest organs, which was moved from Carlisle Cathedral in 1684. The formidable Lady Anne Clifford is buried here.
Appleby Castle dates from the Norman period, and stands on a hill overlooking the town.
St. Anne`s Hospital was founded by Lady Anne Clifford in 1651 as almshouses.
A 19th century pillar known as the Low Cross stands in the Market Place, and a 17th century one, known as the High Cross, is at the top of Boroughgate outside the castle grounds. The Town Council meets in the historic Moot Hall.
Appleby Horse Fair, the largest gypsy gathering in Britain, has been running for over 300 years, and takes place in June.
Appleby has a station on the highly scenic Settle and Carlisle railway.