It was a little village until 1854, when the Army purchased 6,000 acres of the heathland and built permanent barracks, since when the town has been known as the home of the British Army.
The Army term "glasshouse", meaning a prison, originated here, with the glass-roofed detention barracks.
There are various museums on aspects of the forces.
The parish church has a 15th century tower.
Blue Badge Guide Colin Crosby is available to lead Guided Walks around Aldershot for groups.